TIPS FOR BREAST FEEDING
Breast feeding is not a choice it's a responsibility
When to start ?
Ideally start soon after your baby is born or half an hour following vaginal delivery and 1 hour or when patient recovers from caesarian delivery.
How Long ?
Exclusive breast feeding should be given for 6 months and continued complementary feeding for 2 years.
Common problems in breast ?
1) Breast engorgement-local rise in temperature, redness over breast, pain.
3) Crack nipple
4) Sore nipple
5) Breast abscess
In order to prevent above problems, feeding should be 2nd hourly and on demand feeding, and proper positioning of the baby and nipple care.
Breast feeding latch : proper position :
1) Hold baby with whole body facing your body, head end upwards.
2) Place your baby's nose and chin against your breast.
3) Support your baby's head, neck back.
4) ¾th of the areola to be covered, lower lip everted.
Benefits of breast feeding :
1) Breast milk contains antibodies that help baby fight against infections.
2) Decreases risk of asthma, allergies, respiratory illness in the baby.
3) Decrease risk of malnutrition obesity, heart disease
4) Mother-baby bonding is increased.
5) Economical, all time supply, sterile, immunologically safe, natural food, temperature perfect, deaths are reduced.
No supplements :
Don't give your baby sugar water or other supplements. This may actually interfere with baby's appetite for nursing and decreased milk supply.
A new born baby has only three demands. They need warmth in the Arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence.
Breast feeding satisfies all three